Thursday, September 12, 2013

Who We Really Are

There are a couple of things I could always count on as a child. My mom catching my brother and I every time we would sneak twinkies out of the pantry, my older brother's teasing, and visits to Wyoming every summer to visit my Grandparents. I LOVED visiting my grandparents. Swimming lessons, ice cream on Friday nights, playing with cousins, and watching movies that could only be found in my grandma's basement. Although I would look forward to being in Wyoming with my grandpa and grandma, I did NOT look forward to the drive. Not only was it was 6 long and dreary hours, but we had to spend most of them driving through Yellowstone National Park. I hated it. Completely dreaded the drive.  To this day all I think of when I see red twizzlers (a staple for the ride from Idaho to Wyoming) are stinky hot pots and geysers, and the dizziness I felt looking out at the blur of brown and green as we passed thousands of pine trees. Blech. To me, the national park was common. And boring.

A few years ago I took a geology class. It opened my eyes to what a treasure Yellowstone really is. I was amazed. My professor took us on a tour of Yellowstone, stopping the bus often as we drove through the park to allow us a closer look at the wonders that were almost right out our back door. All these years I spent dreading the ride through this forest, not realizing the treasure it is on our earth. People from all over the world travel by bus and plane just to spend a few hours to enjoy the scenery there.

I have spent my life learning and living the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Since birth I have been taught very basic simple truths about who I am, why I am here, and how much our Father in Heaven loves me. To me, this knowledge was common sense. Everyone knew what I know.

Six months ago I embarked into my mission adventure. I quickly realized what a treasure the gospel and its teachings are. I found out that though it is simple, the things I know are not common. I have the jewels of the most worth.

I know I am a daughter of God with the potential to become like He is. I lived with him before I came here. He loves us more than we can even comprehend. This earth was created specifically for each one of us to progress towards the divine destiny He has planned for us. His plan is made possible because of our Savior, Jesus Christ.

Simple, right? Yet, reality shifting.

This knowledge has affected the choices I have made all through out my life, whether I realized it or not. I don't think I ever consciously even thought about it. It became a part of me.

Deep in the heart of humanity is a homesickness that many feel yet do not understand. The adversary is doing an excellent job at helping us to forget simple truths. Because if the adversary can persuade us to forget who our Father is, we forget who we can become. Our choices reflect our understanding of this simple treasure of knowledge. This is knowledge of hope and happiness.

I am Sister Ashcraft, daughter of God. :) "Unto me, who am less than the least of all saints, is this grace given, that I shall preach the unsearchable riches of Christ" (Eph. 3:9).

No comments:

Post a Comment